Curried Red Lentil and Swiss Chard with garbanzo
- 1 large yellow onion
- 5 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 62 oz vegetable broth
three 14oz containers
- 1 bunch swiss chard
tough stalks removed, coarsely chopped (about 12 cups)
- 1 lb red lentils
(about 2 1/4 cups)
- 15 oz garbanzo beans/chickpeas
- 1 tbsp extra virgin cold pressed olive oil optional
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; sauté until golden for about 3 minutes.
- Mix in curry and cayenne.
- Add broth and chard.
- Increase heat; bring to boil.
- Add lentils and garbanzos; reduce heat to medium.
- Cover saucepan and simmer until lentils are tender.
- Stir every 5 to10 minutes.
- Turn off stove once swiss chard is soft and bright colored, however not overcooked to pale green.